Mac & cheese is one of my favorite foods, and this version is the best I’ve had in a long time!
Creamy Mac & Cheese
Adapted from The Kitchen Prescription
8 oz pasta
3+ T butter, divided
1/2 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c chicken stock
2 T flour
1 1/4 c heavy cream
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 c sour cream
2-3 splashes hot sauce (optional)
2 1/2 c cheese (we used 1 c monterrey jack, 1 c cheddar, 1/2 c parmesan)
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 c panko bread crumbs
1) Bring water to boil and cook pasta until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes.
2) Transfer pasta to colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
3) Transfer pasta to buttered baking dish and toss with 2-3 tsp olive oil.
4) In a medium sauce pan, melt 2 T butter over med-low heat.
5) Add onion and garlic; saute for 3-4 minutes.
6) Whisk in flour; cook two minutes, whisking constantly.
7) Add chicken stock, cream, flour, mustard and sugar; simmer gently for 15 minutes, whisking periodically.
8) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8) Stir in cheese into liquid until melted; season with salt and pepper.
9) Remove pot from heat; stir in sour cream and hot sauce.
10) Pour cheese mixture over pasta, and stir to combine.
11) Melt 1 T butter in small skillet.
12) Stir panko into butter; do not brown.
13) Sprinkle panko over pasta.
14) Bake 30-35 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and panko is browned.
15) Let stand 5 minutes before serving.