We picked three quarts of blueberries on Thursday morning. I froze most of them but couldn’t resist making one of my favorite breakfast treats — blueberry muffins! These muffins are surprisingly light given that they are made with 100% whole wheat flour. J enjoyed them (despite his disdain for whole wheat baked goods) and even had one for dessert along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
2 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c blueberries
1 T honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c butter, melted
1 1/2 c buttermilk or 3/4 c each milk and yogurt or 1 1/4 c liquid whey
granulated sugar for sprinkling
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees; grease muffin tin.
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and blueberries.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together honey, vanilla, butter and buttermilk.
4) Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
5) Spoon batter into muffin tin (overfill slightly); sprinkle with granulated sugar.
6) Bake for 18 – 23 minutes, until knife inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
7) Let cool for 5 minutes; remove from pan.
Yields 12 muffins.