We have been on a meatball kick lately, and this recipe is another great variation. We used Wei Chuan teriyaki sauce. I wish I could say what brand of chili sauce we used, but the only English words on the bottle, aside from chili sauce, are “for a healthy tomorrow”, sweet and lycopene. We purchased both at an Asian market.
The trick to the dish is to add just enough sauce to the cabbage to lightly coat it. If you saturate the cabbage with sauce, the dish can become cloying. A side of plain rice also serves to cut the sweetness. I recommend using plain meatballs for this dish, seasoned with just salt, pepper and garlic (no cheese!).
Sweet and Spicy Asian Meatballs
Adapted from Check It Out
1/4 c Thai chili pepper sauce
1/4 c teriyaki sauce
1 T honey
1 T toasted sesame seeds
pinch ground ginger
pinch garlic powder
2 T olive oil
approx. 4 c shredded cabbage
2 carrots, shredded
3-4 green onions, chopped
1/2 batch mini meatballs
1) In a small bowl, whisk together chili pepper and teriyaki sauces, honey, sesame seeds, ground ginger and garlic powder; set aside.
2) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute cabbage, carrots and green onions until tender, approx. 10 minutes.
3) In another large skillet, saute meatballs to reheat (if made ahead of time).
4) Pour about 2/3 of the sauce over the warm meatballs; toss to coat and saute until heated through.
5) Pour remaining sauce over cabbage mixture; toss to coat and saute until heated through.
6) Serve meatballs nestled on a bed of cabbage.