I’m really pleased with how this soup turned out. None of the recipes I found online included all of the components I wanted (greens, pasta and chicken), so I had to improvise. Now, this may not be the most authentic Italian recipe, but it’s definitely tasty.
This recipe is a great way to use a whole chicken. Use the broth and some of the meat for the soup and save the rest of the meat for another meal.
2 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
8 c chicken broth
6 cups (loosely packed) chopped escarole
3/4 c mini pasta (e.g. pastini, stars, etc)
1 c cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 lb (about 35) mini meatballs
1/4 c pecorino romano
1/4 c parmesan
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1) Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2) Add onion and carrots; saute until tender.
3) Add garlic; saute for 60 seconds.
4) Add chicken broth; bring to a low boil.
5) Reduce to a simmer and stir in escarole; simmer for 5 minutes.
6) Add pasta; simmer for 5 minutes.
7) Add chicken and meatballs; simmer until warmed through and pasta is tender.
8) In a small bowl, combine egg and cheeses.
9) Add egg/cheese mixture to soup, stirring until incorporated.
10) Season to taste.