This dish smells amazing while it is baking, and the taste does not disappoint. I recommend serving it with a bit of marinara sauce.
Adapted from Food Network
2 large eggplants
3 T olive oil, divided
3/4 lb ground beef
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 T garlic, minced
1 T dried parsley
1 T dried basil
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 1/4 c pecorino romano
1/4 bread crumbs
1 tomato, diced
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out center.
3) In a large saute pan, heat 1 T oil over medium heat.
4) Season ground beef with salt and pepper; saute until browned.
5) Remove beef from skillet; drain excess fat from pan.
6) In another skillet, heat remaining oil; saute onion and bell pepper until softened.
7) Add garlic; saute for additional minute.
8) In a large bowl, combine beef, vegetables, parsley, basil, oregano, smoked paprika, 1 c cheese, bread crumbs and eggs.
9) Stuff eggplant halves with filling; top with tomatoes and remaining cheese.
10) Place eggplant on greased baking sheet; bake for 50 minutes.