This is a great weeknight meal because it cooks up quickly and all of the chopping can be done ahead of time. You can use whatever cuts of chicken you prefer. I broke down a fresh chicken last week, so we used the leg/thigh meat for a bit more flavor.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
2-3 T olive oil or coconut oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 T minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of smoked paprika
2 boneless skinless chicken legs, cut into small chunks
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small chunks
32 oz chicken broth
4 oz can green chiles
8 oz red enchilada sauce
shredded cheddar cheese
pan fried tortilla strips
1) In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.
2) Saute onion and pepper until soft; add garlic, cumin, cayenne and paprika and saute for an additional 60 seconds.
3) Add chicken; saute until cooked through.
4) Add broth, chiles and enchilada sauce; bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
5) Garnish with sour cream, cheese, cilantro, avocado and tortilla strips.