We’ve had beans ‘n greens in two different restaurants recently, and this was our second attempt to recreate the dish at home. This time the flavors came together nicely. I recommend using more than one type of green for a little variety — we used kale and spinach. If you are using homemade chicken broth, you will likely have to add a fair bit of salt. Feel free to change the quantity of broth depending on whether you prefer the dish more or less soup-like. Next time we make this, I want to incorporate bacon. I imagine we will cook a few slices, use the drippings in place of the olive oil, and then sprinkle the dish with crumbled bacon right before serving.
Beans ‘n Greens
Adapted from The Neelys
2 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups greens
1 1/2 c cannellini beans
1 c chicken broth
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
parmesan cheese, shredded
1) In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2) Saute onions 2-3 mins until softened.
3) Add garlic and red pepper flakes; saute for an additional minute.
4) Add the heartier greens (e.g. kale); saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly wilted.
5) Add beans, chicken broth, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
6) Stir in the more delicate greens, if using (e.g. spinach), until wilted.
7) Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.