We made a great dinner last week of potato pancakes and roasted vegetables drizzled with a homemade cheddar cheese sauce. This sauce would also be good over steamed broccoli or a baked potato. Use whatever kind of cheese you are in the mood for. My default is usually sharp cheddar, but swiss would be great too.
1 T butter
1 T flour
1/2 c milk
1 c shredded cheese
1) Melt butter in a small saucepan over med-low to medium heat.
2) Whisk in flour; let cook for 2-3 minutes while whisking.
3) Whisk in milk until the flour is fully incorporated.
4) Slowly add cheese, whisking until melted.
5) Allow to simmer over med-low heat until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.