We originally planned to make a vegetarian chili but then decided that bacon would make it better. We typically don’t use a recipe to make chili, but since this turned out so well, it makes sense to write it down. If you don’t use the pre-spiced tomatoes and beans, add some extra seasonings like a few tablespoons of chili powder and a few dashes of onion and garlic powders.
Who Needs the Beef Chili
8 strips bacon, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
1 – 2 T minced garlic
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes, zesty chili style
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 6 oz can tomato paste, no salt added
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1 15 oz can Bush’s Chili Starter Beans, medium
2 c cooked kidney beans
2 1/2 c cooked black beans
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Mexican chili powder
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1) In a large skillet, saute bacon until cooked through; set aside.
2) Add peppers and onions to the skillet and saute in the bacon grease until tender.
3) Add garlic; saute for about one minute; remove from heat.
4) Combine bacon, pepper/onion mixture and remaining ingredients in a crock-pot.
5) Cook on low for about 6 hours.