These are J’s new favorite cookies. The texture is soft and chewy, and the cookie has a nice balance of coconut, chocolate and nuts. I was out of pecans, so I used walnuts and almonds. Peanuts could be fun to try as well.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Coconut Pecan Cookies
Adapted from The All-American Dessert Book
2 1/4 c shredded coconut
1 1/4 c chopped pecans
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c plus 2 T flour
1/2 tsp (scant) baking soda
1/2 c chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Combine coconut and pecans in a small bowl.
3) In a large bowl, combine milk, sugar, egg, salt and vanilla; mix well.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda.
5) Stir flour mixture into liquid ingredients until just blended.
6) Stir in coconut-pecan mixture, reserving 1/2 c, and chocolate chips.
7) Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
8) Drop dough by the tablespoon onto a cookie sheet about 2 – 2 1/2 inches apart.
9) Generously sprinkle reserved coconut-pecan mixture over the dough.
10) Bake for 13 – 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
11) Allow cookies to rest for 2 – 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.