This zucchini bread turned out to be a nice surprise. It looked beautiful coming out of the oven, and it tastes great too. The flavors are very subtle — a little bit of sweet, a little bit of lemon — but no single flavor smacks you in the face.
Buttermilk Zucchini Bread
Adapted from Miri Leigh
6 T butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 c shredded zucchini
1/2 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
2) Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
3) Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
4) Mix in zucchini, buttermilk and vanilla.
5) In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and lemon zest.
6) Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in 3 batches; mix only enough to fully incorporate.
7) Pour batter into prepared loaf pan; bake for 55 – 60 minutes.