We came back from vacation with a 10-lb bucket of frozen sour cherries. What was I to do but immediately make a pie? This recipe turned out great…full of cherries and not too sweet. As I couldn’t taste either the vanilla or almond extracts, I’m not sure if I would bother with them next time. It wasn’t the prettiest pie I’ve ever made, but that’s what happens when it’s 80+ degrees in the kitchen.
Sour Cherry Pie
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living magazine
2 lbs pitted cherries (about 4 c)
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
double crust pie dough
2 T butter, diced
1) Combine cherries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and almond extracts in a bowl; set aside.
2) Roll out bottom crust; transfer to 9″ pie plate.
3) Fill pie with cherry mixture; dot with butter pieces.
4) Roll out top crust; drape over cherry mixture.
5) Trim edges and flute decoratively.
6) With a sharp knife, slice several steam vents in top of crust.
7) Place pie in refrigerator while oven preheats to 425 degrees.
8) Bake for 15 mins; reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional hour.
9) If necessary, cover edges of pie with foil to prevent over-browning.