This recipe makes enough dough for a double crust pie (or 2 single crust pies). The trick is to keep all of the ingredients and the utensils as cold as possible, especially when you are working in a warm kitchen. I like to put the mixing bowl and pastry cutter in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before I start.
Buttery Flaky Pie Crust
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 T sugar (optional)
1 c (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter
3/4 c ice water, divided
1) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and sugar.
2) Dice butter and sprinkle over flour mixture.
3) Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the flour mixture until butter pieces are the size of small peas.
4) Sprinkle 1/2 c ice water over mixture; use spatula or your hands to mix.
5) Add up to 1/4 c more water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough just comes together; gently knead into large mound.
6) Divide dough into 2 pieces; wrap each piece in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least one hour.