I never thought I liked tomato soup. After trying this recipe, I’ve changed my mind. This soup goes great with a nice crusty grilled cheese sandwich!
Tomato Cream Soup
Adapted from Food Network
1-14 oz can chopped tomatoes
3/4 c olive oil
salt and pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 T butter
1/4 c chopped basil leaves
1/2 c heavy cream
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) Strain the canned tomatoes, reserving the juices.
3) Spread tomatoes on baking sheet; season with salt and pepper; drizzle with 1/4 c olive oil.
4) Roast tomatoes until carmelized, about 15 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat.
6) Add the celery, carrot and onion; cook until softened, about 10 mins.
7) Add roasted tomatoes, reserved juices, garlic, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter.
8) Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 mins.
9) Add basil and cream.
10) Puree with immersion blender or food processor.