This is the perfect fall dish (adapted from Taste of Home) — lots of seasonal orange veggies! We did not have any coriander or allspice, so we just omitted those ingredients. This would be excellent with naan!
Vegetarian Moroccan Stew
1 large onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp salt
3 c water
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
4 medium carrots, sliced
1 large tomato, chopped
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
1) In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender.
2) Add the spices and salt; cook 1 minute.
3) Stir in the water, squash, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
4) Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
5) Add chickpeas; return to a boil.
6) Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.