So..I’m not a huge fan of carrots, so anything to make them taste better is appreciated. I suppose the sugar in the recipe offsets some of the health benefit of eating carrots, but I’m not going to worry about that. These make a nice side dish for a roast chicken. I scaled the recipe way down since it’s just the two of us, and I just eyeballed most of the ingredients.
Brown Sugared Carrots
2 T coconut oil
1 – 1 1/2 lbs carrots (with tops on, if available)
2 T dark brown sugar
1 T molasses
1/2 – 1 c water
2 T butter
1) Cut off carrot tops and set aside; peel and quarter the carrots lengthwise.
2) Heat the oil in a large skillet (make sure that it’s big enough for the carrots to fit in!).
3) Add the carrots to the skillet; season with salt and pepper; stir to coat all the carrots.
4) After the carrots have cooked for a few minutes, add the brown sugar and molasses.
5) Add a little water (to allow the carrots to steam) and stir occasionally.
6) Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
7) Add more water as needed, but the sauce should be pretty thick and bubbly.
8) Once the carrots are fork tender, add the butter; stir until melted.
9) Remove the carrots to a serving dish and garnish with chopped carrot tops.