This is a recipe from Southern Living. There are several suggested varieties. So far, I’ve only made the Salted Caramel Buttercream.
1/2 c butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
16 oz powdered sugar
3-4 T milk
1) Beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until creamy.
2) Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with milk. Beat at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition.
Salted Caramel Buttercream
1) Prepare buttercream as directed above using only 3 T milk and adding 1/4 tsp kosher salt.
2) Melt 15 caramels with 1 T milk in a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute or until smooth.
3) Fold caramel into buttercream, creating swirls.