I saw these made on Barefoot Contessa and knew that we had to try them. The original recipe made way too much risotto, so I’ve cut everything in half below. This should make about 5 or 6 good-sized cakes. They are very rich, so you need a salad or other light side to round out this meal.
Chive Risotto Cakes
3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 c uncooked arborio rice
1/4 c greek yogurt
1 large egg
1 1/2 T chives, minced
3/4 c (2.5 oz) fontina cheese, grated
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 c panko bread crumbs
3 T olive oil
1) Bring a pot of water to boil over med-high heat (you will need about 3 times as much liquid as rice).
2) Add 1/4 tsp salt and the rice; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
3) Drain the rice in a sieve and run under cold water until cool; drain well.
4) Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt, egg, chives, cheese, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt in a medium bowl.
5) Add the cool rice and mix well; refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
6) Form the rice mixture into about six 3-inch patties.
7) Spread panko in a shallow dish; place patties in panko, turning to coat.
8) Heat oil in skillet over medium heat; cook patties about 3 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.