I wanted to use this recipe for a strawberry shortcake-like dessert, so I cut it in half and made cupcakes. I baked them for 20 minutes at 350 degrees (no cupcake papers). They turned out perfectly. Next time I will overfill the cupcake tins since these don’t rise at all.
Angel Food Cake
1 1/2 c egg whites (10 – 12 eggs)
1 1/4 c confectioner’s sugar
1 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 c sugar
1) Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 mins.
2) Meanwhile, sift flour and confectioner’s sugar three times; set aside.
3) Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on high speed.
4) Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
5) Fold in flour mixture 1/4 c at a time.
6) Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in tube pan.
7) Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
9) Invert pan immediately; cool completely before removing cake from pan.