We really enjoyed these tacos. I’m posting the recipe as we made it, but I definitely want to experiment with a few changes. I think the honey/cumin mixture should have a more prominent role — maybe as the coleslaw dressing.
1 lb tilapia, cut into chunks
5/6 c lime juice, divided
2 T honey
1 T olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/2 c mayo
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 T adobo sauce
1/4 tsp sauce
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 c cabbage, shredded
1 c cilantro leaves, minced
3 green onions, finely chopped
1/3 c flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 c panko bread crumbs
salt & pepper, to taste
1 c grapeseed oil, for frying
1) Place the tilapia chunks in a flat dish and marinate (refrigerated) in 1/2 c lime juice for several hours.
2) Whisk together remaining 1/3 c lime juice, honey, olive oil and cumin in a small bowl. Set aside.
3) Place the mayo, chipotles, adobo, salt and cayenne in the food processor. Pulse until smooth.
4) Combine cabbage, cilantro, green onions and half of the chipotle mayo. Set aside.
5) Place the flour, eggs and panko in three separate bowls.
6) Season the fish with salt and pepper, to taste.
7) Dip the fish first in the flour, then the eggs, then the panko. Set the fish on a plate.
8) Pour grapeseed oil into heavy skillet until 1/4 deep. Heat to 365 deg over medium heat.
9) Cook the fish, turning on all sides, until golden brown.
10) Drain the fish on paper towels. Brush the fish with the honey mixture.
11) Assemble the tacos by placing several pieces of fish, 1 T chipotle mayo and coleslaw on each tortilla.