This recipe is hands down the most flavorful potato soup I’ve ever had! I followed the linked recipe as written, except I scaled it up to 6 servings and used 2:1 heavy cream to milk in place of the half and half. It actually made too much, so the 4 servings should suffice for a dinner and lunch for both of us. The below is how I intend to make it next time to give it a thicker texture.
Baked Potato Soup
3 bacon strips, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 T flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp pepper
3 c chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, 1 cubed and 1 mashed
1 c half and half
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
cheddar cheese, shredded
green onions, chopped
1. In large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; set bacon aside.
2. Saute onion and garlic in the bacon drippings until tender.
3. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well.
4. Add the broth and bring to a boil; boil for two minutes.
5. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce.
6. Heat through, but do not boil.
7. Garnish with bacon, cheese and green onions.